Doncaster Racecourse fixture abandoned with another under threat
SATURDAY’S big meeting at Doncaster Racecourse is under threat with Friday’s day of racing already abandoned due to snow on the track.
Town Moor officials made the early call on Wednesday to call off Friday’s meet due to a big thaw looking increasingly unlikely.
An inspection will take place at 2pm on Thursday to assess the prospect of Saturday’s meeting beating the weather.
The Sky Bet Chase is due for Saturday along with the StanJames.com Champion Hurdle Trial which was switched from Haydock after last weekend’s meeting was abandoned.
Clerk of Doncaster Racecourse Roderick Duncan said: “There is still snow on the track. We had a little bit of a thaw yesterday but there is still more than a covering in most places.
“The forecast for Thursday was 2C at best and -4C at worst, with the best forecast overnight being zero. Further snow and sleet is also in some forecasts.
“We are going to have a look for Saturday just to see if there is any improvement,” Duncan added.
“Saturday daytime temperatures are a little bit better but we need an improvement in overnight temperatures for Friday.
“There needs to be a significant improvement in the forecast for Saturday to have a chance.
“We will need a real positive overnight temperature on Friday to give us an opportunity.
“We don’t have any plans in place to re-stage the Friday fixture.
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Selby
Sunday 26 May 2013
Temperature: 5 C to 19 C
Wind Speed: 13 mph
Wind direction: West
Temperature: 9 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 20 mph
Wind direction: South